Jazz bands from across the country and beyond are welcome to apply to the International Jazz in the Park Competition, which will take place in Cluj-Napoca between May 1-3, 2020 and which offers awards that have a total value of more than 8.000 euros.
Already at its sixth edition, the main purpose of the International Jazz in the Park Competition is to discover young, talented jazz bands and to offer them the chance to perform on the stages of the Jazz in the Park festival in June 2020, as well as at other European jazz festivals.
“When developing a music market, it’s not enough to distribute it or to bring relevant names. It is also important to give these young, fresh bands a chance to be seen, to do anything you can in order to help increase the number of opportunities for artists. That’s what we do through the competition and, up until now, its evolution was really positive. Quality-wise, it evolved as well with every edition and, last year, it gained a special status, growing as an independent event, separated by the Jazz in the Park Festival. It’s a way for us to contribute to this industry that offered us a lot as well. I can’t wait to listen to this year’s participants!”, says Alin Vaida, manager of Fapte, the association that’s behind not just the competition, but the Jazz in the Park festival itself.
The competition in Cluj can be joined by young jazz musicians regardless of their level of experience, the instrument he plays or nationality. Eligible pieces can be from classical jazz to acid jazz, from bossa nova and cool jazz to funk, free jazz, blues, jazz rap, jazz rock, nu jazz, punk jazz or swing. Registered band members must be aged between 16 and 35 years old at the moment of the competition. As an exception, one member of the group may be older than 35 years.
To be selected and enter the contest, artists must complete an application form online: jazzinthepark.ro/competition. The application deadline is February 29, 2020. More information about the conditions of participation can be found on the website.
“Last year, we had 90% international young jazz bands, and only 10% Romanian bands. This year we hope to come to have a more balanced proportion. We try to select bands that have a more modern approach to music, but who still explore classical jazz influences. We would like to have as many bands that come with their own compositions, bands who can show us that there are no limits for musical genres, that there’s a new side of jazz we haven’t seen just yet”, points out Adam Dobie, project manager of the International Jazz in the Park Competition.
- Competition registration: January 15 – February 29, 2020
- Preselection result communication: March 5, 2020
- Live performance competition: May 2-3, 2020
- Award ceremony: May 3, 2020
The Awards have the following structure and value:
1) Open Air section:
- 1st place: 2,000 euro net, at the BNR exchange rate on the payment date, and the invitation to hold a concert at Jazz in the Park Festival, which takes place on June 25 – 28, 2020 (net fee of 500 euro+travel expenses)
- 2nd place: 1,000 euro net, at the BNR exchange rate on the payment date, and the invitation to hold a concert at Jazz in the Park Festival, which takes place on June 25 – 28, 2020 (net fee of 500 euro+travel expenses)
- 3nd place: 500 euro net, at the BNR exchange rate on the payment date, and the invitation to hold a oncert at Jazz in the Park Festival, which takes place on June 25 – 28, 2020 (net fee 500 euro+travel costs)
2) Composition section: Award for the most valuable composition: 200 euro net
3) Special mentions: Three special mentions offered for best musicians – 200 euro net